Sunday, December 07, 2008

Reflection

Two years. Two years have passed and I am officially a former Peace Corps volunteer. Today, I left Macedonia and am not sure if I will return anytime soon. I am turning the page and starting a new chapter in my life it is a scary time as well as an exciting time. On the one hand, I am ready to move on, but on the other hand I miss my life that I had in Kavadarci. This change has not completely sunk in yet, I am sure it will not sink in until I am in the plane or even back in America.

The last week that I spent in Macedonia was one of the best weeks I have spent in Macedonia. Due to my impending departure, I was finally able to play in a little jazz group with some of my friends. To my surprise, we meshed amazingly well in a musical sense. In a bittersweet moment, we realized that we should have been playing together since the beginning of my service. Only what could have been... It was tough fitting all my goodbyes in, not knowing if I would see the person again so I'd just say goodbye just in case. It was a mixed feeling of emotions as I left my home of two years. I will miss all the people that I have met especially those that cared for me.

I am often asked, looking back, if it was worth it. I can say without a doubt that the experience was worth all the tough times and the easy times. I believe I have grown as an individual and as a person. I suppose I won't know how much I have really changed until I am back in America . Before I came here, I meticulously planned each day and planned my future five years in advance. However, nowadays I barely even plan what I am going to do the next day.

My plane leaves for Bangkok tomorrow as I go on a journey of a lifetime. I have no plan for this trip, I am just going to wander around for a while. Perhaps I am putting off my life back home, or maybe I am just putting it on hold. I have no real plan when I return to the States, just a vague idea of one. I just know, that I am going to Bangkok tomorrow and in two days will be eating some great food.

No comments: